Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My Experience with Tofu

Lance and I went to Huhot just a few weeks ago. For those of you who do not know what Huhot is, you have to options.
1. Google it
2. Listen to what I have to say.

Huhot is this delicious Mongolian grill. There are two buffet tables. One with all sorts of meat, vegetables, eggs, etc. The other has all sorts of different sauces and oils. Huhot is an unlimited buffet. You grab a bowl in the beginning and put your choice of meat, noodles, and vegetables in your bowl. You then move onto the second line and add any combination of sauces. After you're all done with that, you take it to a fella who will throw it on a large, round grill and cook it right there in front of you. Then you go back to your table with your personal masterpiece and eat up. This is an unlimited buffet, mind you, so you can create as many new, fun dishes as you please.




I'm getting off topic though. We're talking about tofu.



So when Lance and I went to Huhot a few weeks ago, he decided that he wanted to try the tofu. Tofu is an ugly white square and once it's mixed with all the sauces and other food looks a lot like a piece of egg (which we generally do put in our dishes there). Lance got back to the table and started digging in. He grabbed a forkful of what he believed was egg and eagerly shoved it into his mouth to get one nasty surprise, TOFU! Apparently it was so disgusting that he nearly spit it out. Surely he wouldn't make that mistake again.

I once considered being a vegetarian, but realized that it simply would not last when I realized that the chicken seasoning in ramen noodles was created using chicken broth (although now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that rule only applies to vegans). I figured then that I could live off of ramen and tofu burgers. Once I figured out that ramen could not be in the picture, I bailed out on the idea completely.

In any case, Angela and Jason (Lance's mom and step dad) took us both up to Huhot today to eat (since tomorrow is Lance's birthday). We got to talking about tofu after our bellies were mostly full and I realized that I should probably experience this for myself so that I can actually know what it tastes like first hand.

So I went up to the buffet and scrounged up some beef, noodles, and one piece of tofu. I made sure to put in plenty of sauces so that the tofu would soak it up and hopefully not taste as awful as Lance and Jason had claimed. When I got back to the table, I realized that they had somehow managed to kick out my one piece of tofu while cooking my plate. I suppose they figured since it was just one piece it had probably gotten in there by mistake. Everyone at our table claimed they were trying to spare me from the dreadful taste.

Although I thought, "Maybe that's so. Maybe I should just avoid this whole tofu thing," I went up for one last plate after my stomach settled a bit. I put my piece of tofu in and it managed not to get lost in the manic of food creation. I carried my plate back to the table with all beef and one very lonely piece of tofu.

I bit into it and you know what I found out?

THEY WERE RIGHT? It tasted pretty awful. The outside had soaked up the sauces just fine. It tasted like...well, a sponge with tasty sauces inside. The whole sponge part was unpleasant though. Inside, however, was just terrible! It tasted...alive. Well, more like sushi, I suppose. In any case, it was just terrible and I will never look into trying tofu again.

You can't diss on what you haven't tried though.

No comments:

Post a Comment