Monday, December 24, 2012

10 Reasons Being 20 years old SUCKS

No Longer a Teenager, Still Not Old Enough To Drink--This one is pretty self explanatory. You're no longer a teenager, so everyone is finally expecting you to move out of your parents house or actually do something with your life. However, you are still not allowed to legally drink.

Quarter-Life Crisis!-What am I doing with my life? Why don't I have a career yet? Will I ever get married? Will I ever get those two kids I want? What if by time I finally get married, my eggs are all aged, dried up, and useless? Hello, quarter-life crisis! Goodbye to the world of teenage worries, Hello to What the fuck am I going to do with my life. Legit crisis, if you ask me.

Dating Really Is a Joke.-More than likely you'll be one of three people when it comes to relationships in your 20's: A) The Slut-lives on her own or with a girlfriend, has a new guy every weekend B) The Long-Term Lack of legitimate commitment-living with a significant other that doesn't plan on even thinking about marriage until he is at least 30 or C) The rusher- the person that gets so caught up in their quarter-life crisis that they marry the first person they date out of high school for more than a month or two in fear that this may be their last chance for love. This is generally the person that has a couple of kids, then gets divorced a few years later.

Your Diet Sucks. -Your meals consist of pizza, pizza rolls, ramen, and microwave dinners. Cooking a full meal is for families that have more than one or two people to feed. Besides, that shit takes too long. This terrible diet will, however, come to kick you in the ass later, or sooner. Depends on how your metabolism wants to treat you.

Your House Is a Constant Wreck.-One third of people in their twenties have a new residence every year. What's the point in spending 6 months getting the perfect homey touch when you'll be gone in the same amount of time to decorate. Plus, between a full time job, sometimes full time college, and sleeping, How on Earth are we supposed to find time to clean?

People Start Dying.-Sure, a family member or two may have died when you were a kid, but once you get older that kind of thing is a lot more real. Cancer seems a lot more serious than when you were a kid. Surgeries seem a lot more risky. The people you've known are getting older and you understand that in the next ten years you will have to worry about dying grandparents, older aunts, uncles, and eventually even your parents.

You're Getting Dumber.-This mostly applies to people like me who haven't managed to get back into college yet. Remember that saying "If you don't use it, you lose it." Well, it's true. I realize more and more that I'm losing some of my most basic grammar skills and I can't create math equations like I used to to figure things out. This is disappointing.

You're broke, But You Spend Money on Stupid Stuff Anyway.-I'm a first hand witness to this one and I know I'm not the only one. I know I barely have money to pay the rent, but I still really want a fountain soda from the gas station, so I'm going to get it. Most 20 year old's are extremely impulsive with their money. I haven't gotten the logic behind that one figured out yet. I'm thinking maybe because we haven't quite grasped on to the fact that we're not invincible.

You Still Behave Like a Child, So No One Takes You Seriously-I do this. A lot of the things I do and say, I know I'm still acting as if I were living under my Mother's roof. I want to sit at home and just do what I want to do. Responsibility sucks. I'll do what I need to, but not by choice. Hang on to your youth as long as you can!

Insecurities.-Please let me know I'm not alone in this, but it seems like I'm more insecure about myself now than I ever was as a teenager. At least when I was a teenager, I knew my place. I knew who my friends were, what I was going to do each day, and where life would take me at least until I was 18 years old. There was promise in this stability. Now that I've lost that stability, I've lost a lot of mental stability too: a very unhealthy side effect of being 20 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment