Thursday, December 20, 2012

Happy Notebook: I encourage you to do this.

A few years ago, the end of the year was approaching, as it is now, and I was scouring the internet for things to change in the next year. I came upon this...

"Buy a blank notebook. Draw a huge heart on the cover. Don't write anything negative in here. If you need another outlet, make a separate notebook. This one is all about love, personal growth, and getting back up. Fill it with beautiful imaged, reaffirming thoughts, and quotes. Write in it every day, and and each day write one thing you're grateful for in your life."--Kim, Advice from a Mermaid In A Manhole



I thought this was brilliant. In fact, that very day, I went out and bought me a new, five subject, green notebook. I don't believe I ever got around to drawing a heart on the cover, but I did this. I wrote it in everyday. Even on the worst days, I knew I had to find something to be grateful for or the idea of having this notebook was worthless. Even on the worst days, I always found something to be grateful for. The roof over my head. The food on the dinner table every night. My cell phone. The family I had. The experiences I was able to have.

If I can manage to scrounge up the cash, this is definitely something I'd like to do this year as well. When I was writing in my "happy notebook" daily, I was a happier person. When I was down, I looked through what I had already written. At the end of the year, I was able to look through that notebook and say "I have written 365 things I am thankful for."

I encourage someone to take up this "happy notebook" this year. It will create a better, happier you. If you're down, it will bring you up. If you're fine, you will be able to remember happy memories you chose to write that day. This will be a very positive piece of a whole year of your life that you will always be able to look back on and see no negativity.

This year, I'd really like to put stickers, photos, and many more quotes. When I did this last I was 16 and had little money and was very organized about my writing. I don't want to be organized this time. I want to random things anywhere and everywhere. I want this to be something to look back on and say "Damn, 2013 looks like a fun, happy, chaotic year," which I definitely believe it is going to be.

Also, here's a funny picture for you since this was so short.





1 comment: