Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Missouri to California

In March of 2016, I was in a strange place. My daughter was three months old, I had been single for a year, and the fella I was with before that, I had been dating since 2011.

I was finally moving into my own place again for the first time in a year, and my current roommates were having a couple of their California friends over to visit the midwest. One friend in particular, I took an interest in. We didn't talk much in the days former, but we had this strange connection. I visited my (then) ex-roommates the day the Californians left. This fine fella and I had really hit it off the night before, but I was too afraid to make a real move on him; I was too afraid that a Missouri girl with a newborn, little direction in life, and few interests but her new child had any chance with this fella.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smilingI added him on Facebook. I tried to be sly and gave him my phone number telling him I didn't have data when I wasn't home. We started texting. Then, we starting texting A LOT. We became more and more interested in each other and wanted to see each other again. He booked a flight, he was coming to see me in May. I counted down the days.


Our May trip was fabulous. We went to see Jersey Boys, we went to the zoo, we made key chains for each other. Ten days together, and I felt like I never wanted to leave him again. His presence felt so much like home when I hadn't had that feeling in so long.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, sunglasses, closeup and outdoorHe's a theatre fella, so times were hard. It took us five months so see each other again, but we talked every day. Texts, Facebook, and snapchat. Where would we be without these modern devices? He wasn't free again until October, but he flew me out to see his home town. Everything was strange there. The grass was brown instead of green, the trees were palm instead of maple, and people drove like maniacs. I spent 10 days there and each one was a new adventure. I saw the beach for the first time in my memorable life, I fed a giraffe, and even got to visit Universal Studios. He was trying to lure me in with all the things that California offered. I know it.

Two months later, he found time to make it my way for the Holidays. We celebrated his Jewish origin of Hannukah and my Christmas one all in a matter of two weeks. He stayed for three so we could "test" living together. We laughed, sang, and spent most of our evening at home enjoying each others company. We didn't do many "exciting" things during his trip to the Midwest, but I look upon the memories with nothing but happiness. I enjoyed every moment of just lying in bed together and watching movies.

He was always such a wonderful fella. From the time we decided things might be really real, he always asked about my daughter. Woke up with her during her trips and changed her diapers when he knew I needed nothing more than sleep (even when he needed it too). I knew he was special. We talked about living together, even if the possibility was over a year away.

Image may contain: one or more people and coffee cupWe talked, We planned, we decided on April. Things weren't easy from the time my lease went up in February to the time he arrived mid-April. We stayed with parents and friends. We never really had a cozy bed to sleep on or proper toys in any given place. We made it though.

Danny arrive April 20th. We stayed with my parents to provide him a "good" nights sleep. We left town April 21st for our final destination to start our lives together. I really thought, if anything, spending four days non stop with someone in a confined space would drive me to see the things that drove me insane about them. Alas, that wasn't the case. The trip was long, but it drove me only to see my affections more. We arrived in my new home in California on April 24th.

Since arriving, things have been nothing less than perfect. My daughter and I get to visit the park (nearly) daily. We enjoy smoothies, palm trees, and occasional trips to the beach. At night, I get to enjoy new moving, well-needed cuddles and kisses. It's hard to imagine being this happy, but here I am. I'm with the fella I could see a real future with, I'm in a state I never even believed I'd be able to visit, and I'm starting a life. I really couldn't ask for anything more.
Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling

No comments:

Post a Comment