Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My Final Blog Post as a Minor--The Things I've Learned

This will more than likely be my final blog post as a minor. I am 20 years old and in 4 short days I will have reached the point in life where I don't have another birthday to look forward to until I'm 25 and my insurance goes down.

I'm turning 21. Wow, those words seem so strange, still. I've always been the youngest in every group I've managed to migrate to since I was 14 years old. Not much has changed in that aspect. Finally, all my friends are looking forward to me be able to go out to the bar and have the fun times I feel like I've been missing out on for years.

 I've discovered a lot about myself and the world around me in the last 3 years.

For example:

1. If there is a fire in your oven, throw flour on it. Unless the heating element is on fire, in which case you just need to unplug the thing.
2. Never lose/forget your I.D. If you don't have it on you, you're 10x more likely to A. get pulled over B. lose your cigarettes and be miles away from home or C. be on some spontaneous trip where you'll end up going somewhere you need your ID.
3. Always stock up on extra blankets and pillows. If someone comes to spend the night at your apartment, you don't want to be the person who says "Well, if you're going to be staying the night, you're going to have to deal with being cold and uncomfortable because I only have enough for myself."
4. Incense are the best. If your house smells like smoke, week old trash, cat poop, or any other awful thing, if you burn an incense it makes everything better.
5. Own at least one nice set of interview worthy clothes. Life throws a lot of crazy twists and turns your way and losing your job might just be one of them. Make sure you don't have to spend money from your last paycheck buying clothes just to search for another job.
6. Take lots of picture. You're only young once. Make sure you have lots of pictures of you doing absolutely anything fun. You'll come to forget those times and having photographs can make those memories come back to life years down the road.
7. Never say no to free. "Oh, you're giving away a bunch of dishes? I already have enough of those." NO! You never have enough. If someone is just giving something away, it more than likely means that it's going to end up in the trashcan if you don't take it. Just keep it in your house for a couple of weeks and if the need for it doesn't come up, donate it to goodwill or any charity organization. There's always someone who needs things that others would just throw away. Be the person to give it to them.
8. Take up some sort of creative hobby. Crocheting, painting, drawing. Just do something. Being creative will make you happy and the things you create will later bring you back to a time you wish had never been left in the past.
9. Go bargain shopping. Buy your winter jacket as soon as summer hits when it's on sale. Buy your swim suits in September. Go to thrift stores. Save money wherever you can and always make sure to put the extra back for a rainy day.
10. Being healthy will make you happy. Being thin may not, but being healthy will. Being healthy makes you feel better about the way you look, the things you're doing in life, and the relationships you have with others. I can't possibly explain how, but I can promise you it just gives you a better outlook on life overall.

I think I've done well in life thus far. Granted, I think I could be doing a lot better, but I'm doing well.
I've been living on my own for nearly 3 years now. I've got a wonderful long term boyfriend. We have a lovely 2 bedroom apartment with our two cats. I have a full time job that doesn't pay too badly. I'm a functioning adult with car payments, rent, and electric due every month. The only thing I regret right now is that I'm not in college doing something that would benefit me in the long-term right now.

So I suppose this is going to be a reflective post. I'm going to be another year older, so now I have another year to look back on.



I think I'm going to start one year back:
A year ago, I had only been at Accent for two months, since I had finally gotten out of the dead end fast food job that I had been working at for the past 3 years. I was living in my first apartment with my darling Lancelot, where the landlady was nuts and the parking was terrible. Honestly, around this time last year, I was in a really terrible place. I had gained a lot of weight. All of my clothes were too small and I felt terrible about myself. I felt like most parts of my life were out of control, including, but not limited to, my weight, my relationship, my friendships, etc.




Since then, things have gotten a lot better. I've lost over 40 lbs. I feel pretty in control about my life. My relationship is wonderful. My cats are pretty much the best (although i'd like them better if they didn't poop). I've found a lot of good friends as well as figured out a little bit better where I want to be in life and who I want to be. I (hopefully) have many more years ahead of me to figure everything out...but right now, 4 days away from 21, I'm pretty happy with where I am and what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment