Saturday, August 17, 2013

Fat is in the Eye of BMI

You know that whole cliche about how beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I 100% believe that shit. Some people are extremely turned on by ginger hair and ginger freckles and would go nuts on that shit, while gingers personally freak me out. There is no "Official Beauty Guide" stating you have to be this thin, you're eyes have to be this far apart, you have to have this color hair, and your hands have to look a certain way.

Being fat, on the other hand, is a completely different situation. Don't get me wrong, I would never outwardly say "I'm fat," even when I felt I was because it seems like an attention seeking statement and it bugs the shit out of me when people do that. There's no proper response to it. If they are, you don't say "Yeah you are" and if they aren't, I just want to roll my eyes and maybe hit them.

Fat is in the eye of BMI (body mass index). Don't get me wrong, sometimes BMI lies, but mostly for those that are carrying a lot of muscle with them. For those who are not, BMI is usually right on the money.


This was me at roughly 160, At size 13 pants, my fat rolls were going over my pants and my shirts that used to be big on me were tightening up around my stomach. My BMI was floating around upper "overweight" and if I had gained 10 more lbs, I would have been considered "obese." On a side note for a moment, obese is not what everyone thinks it is. You do not have to be in XXXL clothes and have to shop in the women's plus section to be considered obese. Obese simply means that you are at an extremely unhealthy weight that could come to cause health issues.

For clothes similarity to see the weight I've lost, here is a picture of me in July of 2012. I was probably only at about 155 here, but I knew I was working my way up and not willing to do anything about it.



This is me at 135 lbs in the same dress.


I feel so much better about myself now, and I think I deserve the right to call my past self fat. If i say "When I was fat..." feel more than welcome to agree with me because I'd like that a lot more than if you said that I wasn't because I like feeling as though I've really achieved something great in losing my last 30 lbs. At 135 lbs, I am considered a "normal" weight for my height for the first time ever in my entire life. I have accomplished something and I am proud of that.

1 comment: