Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Heart isn't Complete Until it has a Second Half

I'm not sure if this is true or not...
but supposedly, the typical heart shape



is supposed to look like to actual hearts fused together.

\

Again, I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it's a pretty lovely thought.

The fact that the heart, as a symbol of love, cannot be complete with only one half. It is beautiful that it cannot simply be thrown together, but must be stitched together so that they can never separate.

Then again...
The Catholic church claims that the symbol of the heart (Sacred Heart) began when Saint Margaret Marie Alacoque had a vision in the late 17th century. She saw a heart shape surrounded by a crown of thorns.

I've also heard that it's shape was derived from the seed of the silphium plant, which in ancient times was used as an herbal contraceptive. Although I'm not seeing much similarity myself.


or maybe it was created just like this.


Let me know if you have any more insight on how the shape came about.





No comments:

Post a Comment