Sunday, November 24, 2013

I'm Straying Away from my Anti-Engagement Posts...

I've written all of these anti-engagement blog posts.

I'm ending that here with saying this...

I was always under the impression that when you got engaged, it meant you needed to set a date and immediately start planning away all your spare time with wedding stuff. For some reason, It never occurred to me that couple can be engaged for 5-6 years before actually getting married.

I no longer see engagement as an announcement of "Hey everyone we know, this person and I are going to get married." I now actually see it as a promise of heart. I see it as something that someone does to say "Hey, I'm not necessarily saying let's go to Vegas and get hitched, but I don't want to spend a single day of my life without you, so I'm going to put this ring on your finger so everyone can know that they haven't got a chance in hell with you."

That idea makes me hate the idea of engagement a lot less.

Engagement photo

In fact, I hate it so much less now that I'm going to actually give you an idea of how to create the perfect proposal for your lady (or gentleman, as some would have it).

Remember guys, this is a day that she will remember for the rest of her life. This is a story that she will tell all of her friends and family and that you're children and grandchildren will hear someday. Make it a good one.

First of all....something that I simply cannot stress enough, MAKE SURE SOMEONE HAS A CAMERA.

Almost every girl dreamed of the day she would be proposed to when she was little. When it finally happens, the very moment is going to be a memory she wants to keep for a lifetime. Make sure someone has a camera and is ready to take a picture and make sure the camera has flash if you intend to propose somewhere inside a building or outside during the evening.

Secondly, If there is going to be a ring, make sure you have it. The moment you ask her to marry her, she is going to want to stare it down while it all sinks in that she is actually engaged to be married. It makes everything 10x more real.

Thirdly, Unless you're planning on proposing in a photo booth or somewhere this just is not possible, damn near every girl dreams of her man bending down to one knee when proposing. I can't really say why this is important, but it is. It's the moment when a girl realizes that this isn't a typically moment. It gives her a moment to breathe in and realize what's happening before it actually does.

Fourthly, (is that actually a word?) Think Location. Location. Location. Location. Some are all down for it, but I wouldn't want to be proposed to in my home. Think of a special location that is important to you as a couple. Propose somewhere that you two will always be able to come back to whether it be the place you met, the restaurant you always go to when you have a little extra cash to spare, or maybe just a local park where you two have spent a lot of time together. If none of these really work for you, think of someway to incorporate things she likes. Maybe she's really fascinated with the sea or underwater life. Consider proposing on a boat or in an aquarium. Maybe you two often go hiking together, propose on your favorite trail to hike together. Remember to bring a friend or two to make sure they can get a photo of the special moment.

Five: Prepare what you're going to say. It's easy to get tongue tied in these situations. I mean, this is going to be one of the biggest days of your life. More than likely you're going to trip over your words if you've prepared what you're going to say, so at least be fair and give yourself a fighting chance.

Six: Try to incorporate things she likes. If her favorite holiday is Easter, you could hide the ring in an egg and send her on an egg hunt in the back yard. Maybe she has a fascination like pirates. Try to find a ring box to propose with that's shaped like a treasure chest. Maybe you two plan on going to see her favorite band in the next few months, if so, that would be a prime time to ask her to marry you.

Seven: Make sure to make a day of it. Don't take her to lunch at her favorite restaurant, propose and then go home to do laundry and clean the house. She's going to be filled with excitement. Maybe go to the mall or just spend the day doing things you love together.


As for now, that's all I have folks. Maybe this will help someone out. For all of you who are hoping to make a honest woman out of your girlfriends, I hope this helps.






No comments:

Post a Comment