Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Pluto Protest

When whoever decided that Pluto could no longer be considered a planet because there were tons of other "dwarf planets" roaming around, I was as upset as the next person. Pluto had always been my favorite planet. It was the furthest one away from any kind of life and was smaller than all the rest. Yet, when anyone that didn't know their planets terribly well was asked to name them off, they never forgot Pluto. It was one of the easiest planets to remember, although I couldn't say exactly why.

However, I did not know that there was an entire protest on the decision to no longer consider Pluto a planet.

I came across these photos today.


It's still really bizarre to me that when I have children, they will be told there are only eight planets in our solar system.
They will not know "My very educated mother just served us nine pizzas."

This is what will appear in their textbooks.


What is this world coming to?
No Pluto?!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for these protest photos. I'm running a class right now on public perceptions of science and am pretty excited about next week, when we'll cover the Pluto controversy (if it can be called that). This is my first time on your site, but I'm guessing from this post and the title picture with the balloons that you're in NM (which is where I grew up). If I'm wrong - very sorry. Anyway, thanks again and I'll come back. Take care! - Dave

    ReplyDelete